Hello Hello

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Make way for the good

I was leaving a local high school Monday when I heard someone run up behind me. I turned around to find a young lady I informally mentored at my favorite middle school. She threw her arms around me and told me she missed me so much, then excitedly said, "Guess what! I made straight As!"

This is a young lady I met when she was struggling socially and academically. This is a young lady who did not see her own shine, who did not believe she was smart, who did not think she was "as good as".

If you know me even a little, you know that tears sprang to my eyes. I told her that I had known she could do it and how proud of her I was that she had, then asked what her mother said. She beamed and said her mother sat down and cried.

Y'all, she looks so good. More importantly, she feels so good. And I could not stop smiling the rest of the day.

When I need a happy thought, I am going to pull that moment out. It still serves. Just typing it I am smiling anew.


Post a Comment