Hello Hello

Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Link


Her giant barrel planter was too heavy to lift, too depressing to empty. The whimsical arms that in warmer months held hanging pots were considered "fixtures", I was told. So too the pair of wall pockets I'd brought her from Spain. I had staggered with their heft, wrapped in that morning's El PaĆ­s and consuming nearly all of my carry-on, through three airports en route, but seeing her happily fill them with pansies each spring more than repaid my effort. At the last second I spotted the turtle she'd tucked away in a shady spot, his patina lending him the perfect camouflage. And so I carried his unwieldy body home on my lap, my hand on his back rubbing his shell like a talisman, hoping somehow the joy of my mother's garden would travel with him.
Post a Comment