Hello Hello

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Local Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

New local etsy love is up in the righthand column, and it is a smorgasbord of zesty orange items! Yay, orange!

Even though it's mid-August, I am beginning to feel back-to-schoolish, and because I spent many Augusts during my formative years poring over the back-to-school issue of Seventeen magazine, back-to-school to me means fall styles and fall colors.

I well remember wanting the weather to flip a switch on day one so I could rock chunky sweaters with pencil skirts or smart tweed jackets with jodhpurs or whatever trend Seventeen informed me was de rigueur for fashionable students.

I never had these clothes, mind. I'd have one or two amazing items because I wore my mother down*, but the rest would be nods to fashion but from a strictly sideline position. The right colors but more conservative lines. A more nubby sweater but not truly chunk. But they were new and in a strictly autumnal palette, and I could not wait to wear them.

Obviously no such switch was ever thrown, and so I went back to school typically wearing the same lightweight skirts and spring blouses I'd left with in June, all my new clothes left hanging uselessly in my closet for two more months. Completely disappointing.

Thank you for supporting local artisans!


* One such item was a skirt that was red tartan, and it was really thick and sort of wrapped around, not like a kilt though, more like a sarong. It had fringe on the edge that wrapped, and it was held on with a wide brown belt with an inch of the skirt sort of poofing up over the top of the belt. In retrospect it must have looked like I grabbed the blanket off the couch in the den and made do. Man, I loved that skirt, though. I wore it to death. (A very similar skirt was featured going to a football game with friends on the pages of the back-to-school issue of Seventeen that year.)
Post a Comment