Hello Hello

Tuesday, November 02, 2010

There was a LINE

Do you know how giddy that made me?

A LINE AT MY POLLING PLACE.

And so the youngest and I waited, me beaming at the line, he fidgeting from foot to foot because he got some pretty serious orthotics this morning and they feel "weird" and more than a little uncomfortable.

After I voted, when I was helping him back into his carseat, he announced he was taking his shoes off and taking "those dumb things out". I squatted down beside him so we were eye to eye, and I sighed. I told him I knew how hard he was trying, then I explained what a gift he'd received, this two week chance to try in-shoe orthotics to see if we could possibly, just maybe, cut the kid a break and forgo the enormous, plastic ankle-bracing kind.

His face darkened, his mouth made a small moue, and then he quietly but matter-of-factly stated, "I hate them." I nodded and said, "I know. Me, too. But maybe they'll work."

Today we'll spend at home, watching the returns come in and giving him a day to get adjusted to these large, uncomfortable hopefully miracle workers.
Post a Comment