Hello Hello

Monday, June 21, 2010

Other local roads: Robin Hood, Buenavista, Westend...

Dear Local Citizenry:

I'm confused. Is it Peace Haven? Or Peacehaven? For years I have employed both spellings intermittently. I always feel vaguely wrong, no matter which configuration I use.

Here's the thing, though: it's not just me. Even our city is confused! Both spellings are used on street signs the whole way down. The two at right are mere yards apart.

Here's who is not confused: the Postal Service. They like Peace Haven, preferably in all caps for easy legibility. But I don't trust them, because they don't recognize the hyphen in our city name - in fact they repudiate it entirely - so they're clearly on the side of evil.

If I had my druthers, I'd go with Peacehaven. One word, much like Robinhood. Same number of syllables even. But sadly I suspect I'm going to be told I'm wrong, that it's meant to be two words, à la Country Club.

For now, though, I'll revel in being a little, a smidge, (dare I say?) a dash right, and if I need reassurance, I'll just go stand at the corner of Milhaven.

Or is it Mil Haven?
Post a Comment