Hello Hello

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Hey, I'm running to the store. You need anything?"

I grab a pen. "Ooh! Yes. Hang on, I'll write you a list."

-----

My husband picks up his keys, then takes the list I'm holding out and begins to fold it without looking at it.

"It's only four items," I offer helpfully.

He stops folding, opens and reads it. "Milk, TaB, popcorn, 'cheap meat'?"

"Yes, whatever's on sale. And get lots of it, please."

"Why?"

"Because this child is eating us out of house and home! He ATE MOST OF A PORK ROAST last night. Let him get a bag of jerky in his hands, and he eats the whole thing."

"True."

"And so I'm going to just make him a giant dish of meat and keep it in the fridge for his supplemental dining needs. I can't factor this into my menu planning and portion planning. I'd need to start buying 37 pound roasts and such."

"Oven's not big enough."

"That, too."

"So any 'cheap meat'."

"Yes. Thank you."

My husband shuts the back door behind him just as the oldest wanders into the kitchen and opens the fridge again.
Post a Comment