Hello Hello

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Local Matter of Grave Importance

I suspect my favorite gravestone in town (The Gibson family marker at Salem Cemetery) has to have been handcut, it being a marvel of intricacy and complete awesomeness. Look how the letters loop back over themselves! It reminds me of coil pots I made decades ago.

(This remains the creepiest epitaph I've seen locally.)

Hand Cut Grave Markers: How Did They Do It?
an Old Salem Lunch and Learn

Wednesday, May 19th at 12 NOON
at the James A. Gray Auditorium

(900 Old Salem Road)
with
Martin O’Brien
Cabinetmaker, Conservator, Stone Carver


This talk will examine some local 18th and 19th century grave markers, discuss design of letter forms used at that time, demonstrate layout and cutting of inscriptions and allow participants to actually use a hammer and chisel to experience what stonecutters have for thousands of years. Bring a bag lunch. This event is FREE.


Old Salem
Post a Comment