Hello Hello

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The oldest's friend, S.

This brief news item this morning makes me tear up. I think about the oldest's friend, S., the boy with the always ready smile, and how happy I am he's going to the same middle school as the oldest. I think about how S. probably looked as a very little boy far across the ocean, and I think about how when he and the oldest are being silly, you can still see the little boy in both of them.

I think about how many leaps of faith it must have taken S.'s parents, who also have smiles that come easily, to get on a plane and fly all the way to Russia that last time years ago, how much love.

Then I think about all the would-be-parents who were to get on a plane today. Or tomorrow. Or next week.

And my heart just breaks for them.
Post a Comment