Hello Hello

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Buena Vista Garden, by Yarddawg


Fall, Winter, Project

Once the leaves started falling last fall, I started collecting leaves and grinding them some with my lawn mower and hauling them to my backyard. I mean A LOT of leaves to make compost. Not only my leaves, but leaves from neighbors too. I’m sure they think I’ve lost it and they might be right. Today the pile is about 25’ X 6’ X 5’ and has shrunk a bit due to decomposition. I’ve dabbled in composting before but never on this scale. Because of limited access to my backyard everything had to be carted by hand.

Now every couple of weeks (weather permitting) the chore is to turn the pile to speed up decomposition, again by hand with only a pitchfork. The more it’s turned the quicker the process. It takes a good eight hours right now for me to accomplish this task. Would I recommend this to everyone? No. Is it for everyone? No. Will I do it again next year? Yes. Is it worth the effort? I think so, because not only will it improve my red clay soil, but I also get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, a real workout, and some personal satisfaction along the way. Sally helps too by keeping ferocious animals at bay.

Want to know more about composting? Click here. You can also contact the Forsyth County Extension office at 336-703-2850 for more details.

Reminder: As of March 1st the Master Gardener Hotline is now taking calls Monday-Friday.
- Yarddawg
Post a Comment