Hello Hello

Friday, February 26, 2010

Happy Birthday (begin ominous voice) from beyond the grave...

I was so close to my mother that even now, seven years after her death, I often know exactly what she would have said in a certain situation or what look she would have shot me. I don't know if I'm the only person who does this with someone they've lost, but sometimes I feel like I almost hear her, her voice, the intonation, everything. (She's still very clever and often quite funny.)

In stores, I'll see something and know she would have bought it for herself. I know without a doubt which room in her house she would have put a given item in. I can even pick out with ease gifts she would have bought for those she loved.

And so the last time I looked closely in my mirror and pulled my skin every which way with dissatisfaction, I clearly heard my mother's voice say, "You need to do something about that. C'mon, we'll go together. My treat, a late birthday present."

I had to go alone, of course, my mother's powers being severely curtailed by her demise, but go I did. And my skin now looks markedly better, brighter, less... well, old.

(Thanks, Mom.
Miss you.)


Van Davis Aveda
Post a Comment