Hello Hello

Saturday, January 02, 2010

On magnets and middle school

Thursday night found me watching Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve with the oldest, allowed to stay up until midnight with us for the first time. As my husband puttered about, the oldest and I sat with blanketed knees on the loveseat in the den. We mused about whether Jennifer Lopez' coat was made of animal fur or human hair. We discussed the word "Rocking" in the program title, a use to which the oldest took exception, he deeming none of the performers loud enough to merit the term. We debated what it would be like if the ball fell-fell -- "I mean really fell, Mom" -- and then rolled through crowded Times Square a la Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

After the ball had dropped insipidly, disappointingly --"You mean that's it? That's all there is?"--, I kissed the oldest on the cheek and packed him off to bed. Then I gathered all my strength and the pieces of my aching heart, went online and applied to a middle school for him.
---

Come to the fair! The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools will hold its magnet school enrollment fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, January 9, 2010, in the South Main Hall of Benton Convention Center.

The magnet school fair is a great place to learn about all 15 WSFCS magnets at a single location. Meet staff and teachers from each of the magnets and watch student performances that highlight the schools' outstanding programs.


WSFCS magnet schools (opens with sound)
Benton Convention Center
WSFCS
Post a Comment