Hello Hello

Monday, December 28, 2009

How Lucky

Clementine is one of my favorite girl names ever. Also one of my favorite fruits. Also the name of one of the two guinea pigs available for adoption at the county shelter right now.

We had a guinea pig once when I was growing up. His name was Lucky, because he had a ring around his middle like a lucky stone. When Lucky's luck finally ran out, it was the dead of winter, and so my mother wrapped his little piggy body in aluminum foil and put him in the big freezer out in the garage until the ground thawed the following spring and we could bury him in the backyard, among all the other unluckies. A few weeks after Lucky's demise, my parents went out of the country, leaving my brother and me in the care of a single woman from church. My mother had the menu for the week all written out but told the woman she was welcome to change it up as she liked, that my brother and I were by no means picky eaters and there were plenty of extra cuts of meat out in the freezer in the garage.

You can see where this is going.

Yes, it's true; we got to see Lucky one more time, his little frozen face nestled in tinfoil like a baby in a bunting, lying on the kitchen floor where the shrieking woman dropped him unceremoniously. We did not, however, ever see the woman again after my parents returned a day or so later, she deeming the Lucky episode unforgivably scarring.

The End.

Anyway, if you're in the market to adopt a Clementine (shown above, photo credit FCAC) or a Darling or even a rabbit named Snuggles, you're in luck.

"Other" animals at the Forsyth County Animal Shelter
Post a Comment