Hello Hello

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Local Rocketman

I always thought it a ripoff.

Our family sitter was Ann, who went with us on a few summer trips to Maine, who taught me how to tie the laces to my little, red Keds, who braided my hair without pulling it like my mother always did. And Ann's father was an astronaut. In fact, he was one of the first men to go to the moon. Except of the three men on board, he alone never actually set foot on the moon.

In my mind that was akin to driving all the way to the beach and then never getting out of the car. Unimaginable. Unthinkable. Inexplicable. And I said so constantly.

Ann would laugh gently at my reaction to her father's accomplishment, then change the topic to suggest a bike ride. When I would say I couldn't and point down at my untied shoes in explanation, she would patiently remind me again how to make the bunny ears with the laces.

-----

On Friday, Oct. 2, from 10:30 am to 11:30am, Dr. Thomas Marshburn will visit SciWorks Science Center to deliver an education presentation on space exploration and NASA science research and technology that benefits life on Earth. The presentation is open to the public and is FREE, but registration is required as space is limited.

After graduating from Wake Forest University, Dr. Marshburn pursued a career in medicine that eventually led him from the emergency room to NASA and his first mission to space. In July, he spent almost two weeks aboard the International Space Station helping to expand the orbiting outpost to its full capability for human occupation and science research.

Wake Forest University will honor its astronaut alumnus Oct. 3 during the Wake Forest versus North Carolina State football game scheduled at 3:30 p.m. at BB&T Field.


SciWorks

Thomas Marshburn
NASA
Wake Forest University
Post a Comment