Hello Hello

Friday, March 27, 2009

Face Time v. Facebook Time

Someone with whom I consider myself friendly got snarly at me today, repeating, "You're wrong! You're wrong! You're wrong!" when I tried to explain my position. The issue? Facebook. How I won't join it. Refuse, in fact.

I have a number of reasons, but my primary one is selfish: It's ME. I don't want to spend any more time online than I already do. Generally I carry my little orange phone around, and if I see something interesting, I send a phonophoto to the blog. Later I fill out the post with more details. Or not. But for me, the web is a tool, not a destination.

Others I know spend much more time on the web, catch up with old friends' daily lives on Facebook, MySpace, etc., join messageboards and support communities, Twitter back and forth madly, and are very happy. I think that's wonderful. For them.

I'm happier out and about. If I care about someone, I'd rather sit down in person even for five minutes than have a lengthy comment exchange. My personal nightmare is being chained to a desk, and so it brings me no small amount of joy to know that many so-chained people visit my blog periodically throughout the workday from their desks. I like to think I provide little, vicarious peeks at our fabulous, vibrant community. Though obviously not for all, I hope that's enough for most of you.

cartoon credit: http://xkcd.com/386/
Post a Comment