Hello Hello

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Shhh

"Mommy doesn't feel well," I hear my husband explain to the youngest, who doesn't quite understand why his Sunday morning shrieks of glee are being tempered.

Doesn't feel well is the understatement of the year. Somewhere behind my left eye, I swear, there is a tiny troll mining my brain with a pickax, and with each swing, my stomach rolls. Light hurts. Sound hurts. Smell hurts. I lie in the fetal position in my bed, one hand cupped over my left eye. The plantation shutters are closed for maximum darkness. Even the cat's purrs have been banished while I wait for the Excedrin my husband brought me to kick in.

Finally it does, and I make my way unsteadily into the kitchen where my husband takes me into his arms and rests his chin on top of my head.

"Owie," I pule, wondering how many years have to go by before the migraines that have plagued me every holiday season since my mother died will stop.

-----

Monday, Dec. 1
Holiday Stress Screening
1 to 7 p.m.
Don’t let the holidays get the best of you. Take a break from the hustle and bustle to learn ways to better cope and deal with holiday stress. Talk with a mental health professional from the Mental Health Association of Forsyth County, and take a free, confidential screening for depression and anxiety.

BestHealth events in December
BestHealth
The Mental Health Association of Forsyth County
Post a Comment