Hello Hello

Friday, October 24, 2008

You oughta be in airwaves

I went to the last of the Reynolda symposiums (symposii?) last night. Wow, was that a top notch panel! The main gist was finding an equal balance of efficiency, economy, and elegance. The audience I think leaned toward making that Triangle of Happiness have the leg of "Elegance" longer by half (Economy be damned! Our bridges should sing!), but I think the triangle should be equilateral, with all three considerations carrying equal weight.

That said, the idea of spending on anything makes me incredibly nervous right now. I love the quality of life in Winston, and I would hate to see it diminished because during a time of severe economic downturn, we went with overly (for the economic times) expensive bridges. It's not just Joe and Jane Citizen who need to economize.

Shown is Phil Archer, director of public programming at Reynolda House, introducing the evening's moderator. If career options are the key to treading water in the Big Black Sea of Recession, Phil Archer is set, because he has the ultimate voice for radio. Or possibly for reading books aloud. Professional introducer? Anyway, he has a great voice.

Alas, I do not. When I hear mine played back on voicemail and other recording devices, I want to run shrieking from the room. In second grade, I was selected for a solo part in Liberty Lives!, a historical musical at my elementary school. I sang my little heart out as Molly Pitcher ("I am Molly Pitcher, and I was a soldier, toooooo! When my husband fell, I took his place and fought the battle throoooooough!") My proud mother, of course, bought a Betamax tape of the performance, then later had it converted to a regular VHS tape. When we were cleaning out her house in Washington a few years before she died, we found it and decided we had to watch my solo, my moment in the sun, one more time before pitching the tape, and so we did. We laughed soundlessly until we cried, and finally, when my mother found her voice again, the first thing she said was, "I love you, but that stank. Do you want it? Because I sure don't." Nor did I.

Reynolda House
Post a Comment