Hello Hello

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Waiting

I'm at Carmax on Hanes Mall Blvd, waiting for my car to be inspected. This will probably be my only outing on this, Day Three of Child Home Sick.

I'm fine with staying home one day, but by the second day, it begins to wear on me. By this morning, I was actually looking forward to having my car inspected. When asked if I also wanted to get the oil changed, I answered, "Yes! Yes, change it!" so enthusiastically that the service rep actually backed out of the room. Slowly.

It's not just my house that has this effect on me. Last week I put in some quite heavy volunteer hours at my sons' school, culminating with spending almost the entire day there Friday. I felt trapped, completely stir-crazy. And yet I know people - smart people, with no known psychiatric diagnoses - who work in that same building for hours on end e-v-e-r-y day quite happily. I can't even imagine.

I know why the caged bird sings - she's hoping to hurry her son's recuperation along so he can return to school and she can return to freedom.
Post a Comment