Hello Hello

Friday, March 28, 2008

By popular demand

Twenty-three emails asking that I do this again. I'm not sure that I'll do it daily, though I used to, actually, on another blog, a long time ago. I find these turns of phrase charming, the embodiment of the local character. Without further ado,

Euphemisms for "died" from today's Winston-Salem Journal obituaries:
  • passed away
  • lost her courageous battle with cancer
  • "To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up [that which is] planted." - Ecclesiastes 3:1-2. That season and time came for (name of deceased)
  • went to be with Lord
  • went home to see Jesus
  • was called by his Lord
  • slipped quietly from death into life
  • departed this life to her heavenly home
  • departed this life peacefully
  • went to be with the Lord
I actually had a conversation about death euphemism with my late father, before he was suddenly not there, when such a possibility was the furthest thing from my mind. He liked "passed away" and declined any variation such as "passed", "passed on", "passed over", "passed from the bounty of this world into the beauty of Heaven", etc.

When I die, I want the word "died" to be substituted with a euphemism that runs many, many lines long. I'll let my husband know when I decide upon one. (Unlike Jon Lowder, I'm not going to leave it undecided for my rellies.)
Post a Comment