Hello Hello

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Drivers Wanted

"Sweet! I didn't back over the newspaper that time!"

The oldest is unimpressed. "Daddy never drives over the newspaper. Or the lawn," he adds pointedly.

"Well, honey, that's because your father has more driving experience than I do."

"Six years, right? That's how much older than you he is."

"Um, probably more. I didn't get my license until I was 17. Also, I took an almost five year break from driving after that."

Now I have his attention.

"Really? Why?"

"Because when I found out we were expecting you, I was terrified I would somehow hurt you with my less than superb driving, so I just stopped. I didn't start again until you had just turned four."

In the rearview mirror I see the oldest's look of disbelief.

"We lived in DC, then, so I didn't really have to drive. I could walk to the pediatrician, the grocery, the bank, anywhere I needed to go. And there were buses and cabs and the Metro if I needed those."

"Why don't we walk here? We should walk here."

"Sidewalks, baby. The sidewalks in our neighborhood aren't very complete, and the drivers here... well, they don't seem very aware of pedestrians."

"You're still scared for me, you mean."

"You betcha."

-----

More on Pedestrian Injuries in Forsyth County
Post a Comment