Hello Hello

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Barnabas & Co.

"Barnabas has a friend!" MPB's voice is breathy with excitement across the line. It's not even 7 am. The phone rang so loudly in the quiet chill of the morning.

"What do you mean, Barnabas has a friend?"

"My bat, Barnabas!"

"I know your bat. Define 'a friend'."

"Barnabas came back with a smaller, lighter bat this morning! Now, they're both asleep in between the storm window and the window."

"Oooh, a ladyfriend!" I'm getting giddy now, too. "What are you going to name her?"

"I don't know. It has to come to me."

"Betty?"

"No. Something..."

"More flowery?"

"Exactly."

"Oh, MPB, I'm happy for you and Barnabas."

"I know! OK, I have to go."

And she disconnects quickly, leaving me packing lunches and shepherding sluggish children and imagining MPB's fabulous wide smile beaming at the now two bats that have chosen her home as their own.
Post a Comment