Hello Hello

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ick

Q What is in our tap water that causes a pink film?
A
An airborne fungus, called aspergillus, can sometimes cause a "blush" on your kitchen and bathroom fixtures. The fungus is commonly found in household environments. Aspergillus thrives in moist areas such as bathrooms. Chlorine bleach, or cleaning products that contain bleach, are effective at getting rid of the fungus.

Q What causes the "earthy taste" that sometimes affects our water?
A
This occasionally occurs in the winter when tap water tastes "not so fresh". Organic materials from lakes and rivers are making the water smell and taste musty. The compounds, geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol (MIB), aren't easily removed during the purification process. The water is safe to drink even if the water doesn't taste the way it usually does. The unappealing taste is more common in the summer, when heat increases algal bloom in Salem Lake, which along with the Yadkin River, supply our raw water.

source
Post a Comment