Hello Hello

Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Miller House

Click here to view The Miller House, 1410 Seneca Street

There was a very pink house on 49th Street in the Spring Valley neighborhood of Washington, DC when I was growing up. When we'd drive past it on our way to the A & P, without fail I'd say to my mother, "One day when I grow up, I want to live in a pink house."

My mother would always blanch slightly and grip the steering wheel of her faux wood-panelled station wagon a little harder; the house on 49th was pretty much an electric Pepto Bismal pink.

The Miller House is a much more subtle pink*, but I bet that little girls riding by in cars still ooh and ahh and dream of one day living in pink houses themselves.


* Call me crazy, but I actually like this color. It suits the house well.
Post a Comment