Hello Hello

Friday, November 24, 2006

I BEAT YOU! I've been shopping for 7 hours already!

The Traditional Thanksgiving Pinenugkey
1 pineapple
roughly 60 Chick Fil-A nuggets
no parts turkey
plenty of wine
Thank you, Esbette and Fam

Kidding, completely kidding. About the shopping that is. I've never been a Black Friday shopper, an Early Bird shopper, or a Midnight Madness shopper. In fact, I will go out out of my way to avoid shopping in crowds. This is especially true of Christmas crowds, which, in my experience, are the surliest, product-grubbingest people alive. There's nothing that says Peace on Earth quite like a wild-eyed woman, wrapped in what appears to be the afghan from her couch, barking, "I had it first! That's MY Frymaster!"

So here I sit, planning out what I do do the day after Thanksgiving: decorate.

I have nutcrackers to unpack, light strings to check, and snowflakes to be made with the children. I have Christmas ornaments that must be brought up from the basement or down from the attic (I can't remember where I put them last year). I have holiday ribbons that must be examined, ironed, and, if necessary, replaced. I have Moravian stars to hang. The front door needs a wreath.

So no, there will be no gift shopping today for me. I will not wade into crowds who have been at it since half-past four. I will not listen to Christmas Muzak as I contemplate electronics. I will not fight over a parking space in the thirtieth row.

But if you did? I'd love to hear about it. Tell me the place, the time, the purchase, and, most importantly, whether or not it was worth it.
Post a Comment