Hello Hello

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Apple Pie, Coconut Pie, Watermelon Pie

I've had pies on the brain a lot recently.

Last week, I was Classroom Reader in the oldest's second grade classroom. One of the books I brought with me, and the class favorite, was How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. When I closed the book, I gave each child a copy of the very easy Apple Pie recipe in the back of the book. Then I asked each to name a pie he or she had made in his or her house. One of the children offered up Watermelon Pie, which I'd never before heard of, as a family favorite. It doesn't sound particularly good to me, but here's the North Carolina Department of Agriculture website's recipe:


~~~~~~~
Quick and Easy Watermelon Pie

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup lime juice

2 cups watermelon balls

4 ounce container refrigerated non-dairy whipped topping, thawed

1 9-inch graham cracker crust

Fold together milk and topping. Add lime juice. Fold in watermelon balls, reserving about 5 balls for a garnish. Pour into graham cracker crust. Place remaining watermelon balls on pie to garnish. Chill for 2 or more hours before serving.

~~~~~~~

This morning my friend MPB detailed the myriad of dishes she is preparing for not one, not two, not three, but four, count 'em, FOUR huge family meals she has in the next four days. One of them was Coconut Pie, as requested by her father-in-law, I believe. I'd never heard of Coconut Pie before, either.

MPB suggested that this unfamiliarity with Coconut Pie made me suspect. She went so far as to intimate that I possess an un-American streak, by drawing a comparison between Apple Pie and Coconut Pie.

I pointed out that my pies will have homemade crust. Hers will not. I'm fairly certain storebought crusts are the calling cards of communists the world over. That's all I'm saying.
Post a Comment