Hello Hello

Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's 6 5 a.m.

It's the morning after the clock turnback. I used to love this morning, with its generous extra hour of sleep. But the dogs have decided not to honor the end of Daylight Savings Time. They want breakfast exactly 23 hours and 59 minutes after they finished the last breakfast. It's like having my own little Indiana county right in my kitchen.

I will spend the rest of the day staring at every clock in the house, wondering if that is the old time or the new time. It will make no difference if I systematically adjust each clock. I will still wonder. I will not trust the household timepieces - or my car - for a few days. The default clocks, the ones where the buck stops, will be those I do not change myself, the ones that change automatically: my cell phone, the DirecTV menu, and the computer.

The dogs have eaten now, and watch me from where they lay, sprawled out on the floor. Good idea. I'm going back to sleep, too.
Post a Comment