Hello Hello

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

An amazing thing happened on the way to the blog...

I stopped off at email. And not one, not two, not three, but four people I've never met emailed me offers to do something special for my children if it rained tonight. Four regular readers opened their houses to us, sight unseen, in the name of saving Halloween for two little boys. I think that's incredible, and I suspect it wouldn't happen in many other cities.

The forecast looks fabulous for tonight. And so I won't impose on any of you. But I'm incredibly touched. And amazed.

I was equally wowed at the thought that went into the vaction destinations that poured not only into comments but also into my email.

And so!

I make the following offer: any reader/commenter who would like can send me an address, home, work, or what-have-you, and he or she will receive a postcard purchased on my trip. I cannot promise you it will be sent from our trip, because we have limited time and the oldest would probably not feel keen about carving a bit out to find a post office, not when there's so much to do in exciting...



GATLINBURG, TENNESSEE!


Yes, when I laid out all your suggestions, he was torn, but ultimately the Guinness Book of World Records Museum, the Glow-in-the-Dark minigolf, and the after dark, Trolley Holiday Light Tour won out. To an eight year old boy, this sounds like the promised land. Tabled until summer is the Great Dismal Swamp, which was runner up.

So now I begin the search for the perfect hotel. I have a special place in my heart for over-the-top accomodations, where the whole building is shaped like a cigar-store Indian, or you enter the lobby by walking through the grizzly bear's mouth. Don't look so shocked; my mother grew up in Ocala, Florida, so we spent lots of time in Orlando when we visited my grandmother.

Tackily yours,
Esbee

(I also had an email asking what happened to Maine. We're still planning to go visit, but the logistics of that one are trickier, given the distance, so it won't be this break.)
Post a Comment