Hello Hello

Thursday, September 14, 2006

I may become a Republican

Just until I'm called for jury duty. My purely anecdotal evidence suggests that one must be a non-Democrat to get called for jury duty here.

EXHIBIT A: My husband, the former Republican, now "Undeclared" because there's no official Libertarian party recognized by North Carolina, was called for jury duty a mere two years after moving here. (When he called the night before, the clerk's recording said no jurors were needed the following day, so he never actually got to serve, poor man.)

EXHIBIT B: The long dead husband of the more recently deceased but still dead woman from whose estate we bought this house just got called for jury duty. When we viewed the house, pictures of said dead husband and Jesse Helms manhugging in various locales were all over the walls. I think it's pretty safe to say politically the dead man fell slightly to the right of Attila the Hun into the Republican category.

EXHIBIT C: When I told my friend, A.D., about the dead man being summoned, she remarked that in her many years of residing here, to my knowledge about 15, she has never once been called. I asked if she was a registered Democrat from the word go, and she said yes.

So that's why I may have to switch parties. I could never vote Republican, of course, but I might be able to carry the card long enough to get on a jury. Maybe.
Post a Comment