Hello Hello

Monday, September 04, 2006

3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 hamster, and the Science Fair fish

I call them that because we got them when some other child forgot to make arrangements for the fish he bred for last year's Science Fair. Because we cannot turn away an unwanted animal, they came here.

Before you dash off an email about the three-legged turtle your friend is desperately trying to place, let me say we officially have the No Vacancy sign lit up. There's no room in the inn, and we haven't a manger.

...And yet I cannot stop looking. I am always up on what dogs and cats both Forsyth County and Guilford County have in their animal shelters. I am painfully aware that Guilford County does a much better job of marketing their animals, using euphemisms like, "tries to hold it until gets out of kennel" to suggest a pet is housebroken without promising it. Personalities are discussed, and the occasional sob story is shared. Forsyth's pets are photographed under harsh lights. Only the barest of information is given.

Last week another schoolmom came by to pick up some work I'd done. She mentioned her children were desperate to get a dog, then mentioned a few of her hopes and reservations. I immediately suggested a dog at Forsyth's shelter who sounded promising. This is why I keep looking - so I'll know who's there and maybe can move people along a bit more quickly.

And every once in a while, I get to see an animal who needs no discussion of personality, whose picture screams of personality already.

3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 hamster, and the Science Fair fish. We're full. We're full, I say. I 'm not reminding you so much as reminding myself.
Post a Comment