Hello Hello

Saturday, July 01, 2006

chirp

I'm sitting on one of the loveseats in the den when I hear it: the distinct sound of chirping. Baby chirping. It's coming from right behind me, which makes no sense because that's a window. Slowly, I part the wooden slats of the blinds and peek out.

In between the storm window, which is opened six inches, and the regular window is a mass of pine needles. As I watch, two small heads come out, beaks wide. A mature house sparrow lands on the window's edge, and I slowly close the slats again so as not to upset her.

Then I run outside to look at the front of the nest.This is actually the second nest on our house this year. This spring, we had robins nesting on our front gutter guard where it's shielded by an overhang, just above our front door.

Plus we had the heron incident in January.

I'm delighted our house is so popular with the avian set.

Post a Comment