Hello Hello

Sunday, April 30, 2006

I'm a Scrabble-loving nerd queen

So when I saw that the YMCA Literacy Initiative was holding a Scrabble tourney as a fundraiser, I had to enter. I'll be boning up on my Scrabble skills until the event takes place on May 18th. I don't think I'll win. I'm pretty good, but there's a quasi-professional league in town. Something tells me any one of them could easily best me.

I'll be playing in honor of my late mother, who was a Scrabble fiend and a huge 100% literacy advocate. So much so that when she died, we asked that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to RIF.

Try as I might, I never did manage to beat my mother at Scrabble. Ever. I challenged her one last time when the cancer had spread to her brain - I thought that just might give me the edge I needed - but she saw straight through it, snorted, and said if she had to die, she was damn well going to die undefeated.

I love you, Mom. This Scrabble's for you.
Post a Comment