Hello Hello

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Spring Cleaning

The weather here is turning glorious. What a shame I'm too hopped up on allergy medication to enjoy it.

With spring comes spring cleaning. In Winston-Salem, that means Bulk Trash Pickup. Each neighborhood is assigned a week. The night before the first day, residents in that neighborhood put out broken furniture, old baby equipment, appliances, rugs, decrepit toys, and anything else that wouldn't normally be put out. There are some limitations, of course, but the vast majority of basements end up broom clean.

As soon as one puts stuff out, trucks will pull up, and strangers, not sanitation workers, will begin to cull through the items. This one will take the broken furniture, that one the computer equipment, and that one the fridge with the warped seal. By the time the actual city truck pulls up, all that will be left is the the broken plastic lawn chair. Maybe.

I take bulk trash pickup very seriously. I worked for years in retail presentation. It's a point of pride for me that my stuff moves more quickly than any of the neighbors'. Accordingly, I think about the layout, creating seating areas, placing eye-catching items where they can be seen coming from both directions, avoiding placing clashing items too close. My husband thinks I'm insane, but I'm not left with trash on my lawn all week long, waiting for the city trucks, which I suspect possibly never come.

Think about it: The city promises to come get your bulk items, publicizes the routes, then lets the scavengers basically do the city's job for it. It's a win-win for everyone.

I'm very excited about the items I have this year. I suspect they will move exceptionally quickly, especially if I arrange them just so. I consider doing such my civic duty.
Post a Comment